27.11.08

Short days and little stones









Sunny day, though short.
In a hurry, as frequently around this
time of year, to catch it while
it´s there...












"Once in a while
joy throws little stones at my window
it wants to let me know that it's waiting for me
but today I'm calm
I'd almost say even-tempered
I'm going to keep anxiety locked up
and then lie flat on my back
which is an elegant and comfortable position
for receiving and believing news

who knows where I'll be next
or when my story will be taken into account
who knows what advice I still might come up with
and what easy way out I'll take not to follow it

don't worry, I won't gamble with an eviction
I won't tattoo remembering with forgetting
there are many things left to say and suppress
and many grapes left to fill our mouths

don't worry, I'm convinced
joy doesn't need to throw any more little stones
I'm coming
I'm coming."

(Mario Benedetti: Little Stones at my Window,
translated by Charles Hatfield)

More about M.B. here (english) or here (deutsch)

Keine Kommentare: