31.3.09

Pretty cummerbund

Here´s a belt I bought in a thrift
store (for less than 3 €...) - not to
wear it, just to have it...












"The art of losing isn’t hard to master;
so many things seemed filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster.

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn’t hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

I lost my mother’s watch. And look! my last, or
next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing isn’t hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones. And vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers and a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn’t a disaster.

—Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan’t have lied. It’s evident
the art of losing’s not too hard to master
thought it may look like (write it!) like disaster."

(Elisabeth Bishop: One Art)
- Tuesday Poem at 3 Quarks Daily -

Also there today: a link to a lenghty LA Weekly-
article on Raymond Chandler, who died 50 years
ago this week, after drinking himself to
death - and whom we (should...) remember as
"the person who elevated the lowly mystery to the
realm of literature. As a damn funny writer (...)
The King of the Simile. The Bard of the Bad Blondes..."

2 Kommentare:

Threadspider hat gesagt…

It's great when you find things in thrift shops that really speak to you. Love this belt.

ArtSparker hat gesagt…

My favorite Raymond Chandler line is about somebody looking like "A spider on a piece of angel food cake". We know the man had some serious Mom issues.